Data protection is part of the fundamental right to privacy, which recognises the right of people to have control over their identity and their interactions with others. Thus, it is about ensuring people can trust you to use their data responsibly and fairly.
This Information Governance course includes modules in Data Protection Law, Information and Cybersecurity, as well as the Freedom of Information Act. After taking this course, all people working with sensitive and personal data are better aware of their responsibilities under law, to keep that information safe and secure.
This course looks at the fundamentals of data protection and its importance. It sets out key terminology used when discussing data protection, as well as the principles of data protection.
We also discuss the principles and purpose of the UK Freedom of Information Act, what information can be requested and what information is exempt.
What You Will Learn:
- Why protecting personal data is important
- The GDPR and the new Data Protection Act
- Who the legislation applies to, and how they are affected
- The basics of cybersecurity
- Key steps to keeping data secure in the workplace
- The ‘do’s’ and ‘don’ts’ of communicating with other people and organisations
The Benefits of Taking This Course:
- It complements job training for all those working with sensitive and personal data
- You are better aware of your responsibilities under law to keep person-identifiable information safe and secure
- You understand how, when and to whom information can be given or withheld
- You keep up to date with the most recent changes to data protection law